Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Law Forums > Accident & Injury Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1
Accident at work

Injury at work.

You will have to excuse the length of this post otherwise I would not be able to put my point over. Im also from the UK but there aint any forums regarding this subject.

On 2nd July 2008 I was assigned by my foreman to patch plaster a bedroom wall which was soon to be decorated. After I had finished my work I began to take my tools downstars but when I opened the door two decorators had stripped the hall, stairs and landing paper from the walls leaving a pile on stairs and landing. I shouted for the two decorators attention but I got no response. As I moved towards the top step I slipped on the wet paper and fell to the bottom. I was in shock but managed to get to my vehicle and compose myself. I instantly knew something was wrong, both knees hurt badly, my right one was hurting badly. I drove to the site office to report the accident and asked for my tools to be collected from the room. I since found out that the mess on the stairs was still there hours after I had left site for hospital, also the decorators had a radio blasting away downstairs whilst the other was listening to an I pod.
I got to hospital and was told there was a 4 hour wait, I went to my local GP and explained what happened. Because I had private medical insurance I was told to go to the private hospital and make an appointment. My GP did that for me.
I went for x ray and was told my cartilage was damaged, I also had a hairline mark which could have been a fracture. A scan was arranged and then a date for an operation. After the op I was told they needed to remove quite a large amount of cartilage and I now have bone rubbing on bone. I was also told not to return to work doing my normal duties as a plasterer.
Both surgeon and GP have told me the same.
I recieved six months full basic pay and six months half basic pay, this has now finished and I claim a small amount of benefits.
I have constant pain and have been told at 53 Im too young to have a new knee replacement. The pain has now got to a point where I can hardly walk at all. I take all the usual pain killers but without much relief.
All my pleasures have ceased to be like playing Golf, walking, Camping which we had to sell our caravan for financial reasons, and my earnings capacity has been lost.
I am still waiting for a medical which my company have set up, this will determine if I am to be re employed in some form of capacity or they are just ticking the correct boxes before they finish me on the grounds of ill health.
I have got a solicitor on the case but all I do is correspont via e mail as Ive never met the person who is representing me. He tells me both the decorating company and my company have denied liablity and he has now set court proceedings.
The point is, I have lost my job, my earning capacity has gone, I earned really good money prior this injury and my wife and I are managing on a shoe string. The job would have seen me to retirement no problems. The work was not difficult, in fact it was very easy.
We are still waiting for one of these companies to admit liabilit. My first reaction was to tell the solicitor the decorating company was at fault, now they denied it and passed the blame onto my company who employed them, im now sueing them but each one blames the other. My solicitor told me my claim would be sucessful but again it takes time. Through all this Im undergoing Anger management and stress management because of the trauma. Both myself and wife are now at a point where we both cannot cope any longer as our life style has changed for the worse through no fault of my own.
Compensation will be a bonus but it wont bring back my activeness and ease my knee from pain.
People tell me I will receive good compensation buy knowing my luck I wont. Im affraid that my company have something up their sleeve so to speak.

Kind regards Jeff
jeff_chandler is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,901
I am the widow of a 44 year old man who was killed in a work accident, so I certainly do commiserate with you in this unfortunate situation in which you find yourself.

However, this is an American legal forum and there is no reason to believe there are parallels between our workmans comp laws and those that are in the UK. Therefore, any advice given here would, most likely, be incorrect since you do, in fact, live in a different country.

I would talk to an attorney in YOUR country--most would represent you for free in a personal injury case.

[COLOR=black]To [COLOR=blue]ERR [/COLOR]is human.[/COLOR]
To [COLOR=darkorchid]FORGIVE [/COLOR]is divine.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]
GentleGrace is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 14
You should have to contact with worker's compensation experienced lawyer. He will guide you and help ypu in your case.
Matrafajlo is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 98
Accident At Work

If you are injured in an accident at work you are probably entitled to workers compensation. Almost every employer is required by state law to provide workers compensation insurance coverage for it's employees. If you suffer an injury while working, one of the most important things you can do is to report it and make sure that the accident is detailed and your employer knows of the incident. If you do not report an injury when the injury happens, your employer can deny the accident occurred or may claim it happened outside of work or at home

Some steps that you should take following a accident at work are:

1. Make a report of the accident
2. Get a list of witnesses that saw the accident
3. Contact the HR and report this incident
4. See a doctor if you suffered any injuries
5. Contact a workers compensation attorney
KouroshA is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4
Since you injured on the job site, I would recommend to contact an experienced worker compensation lawyer. You may be entitled to more than a workers' compensation claim. In many instances, law imposes responsibility on the owner or general contractor to keep the site safe and free of dangers.
gregsobo is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0
Copyright ©1999-2008 LegalMatch. All rights reserved. LegalMatch®, the LegalMatch
logo, and the tradedress are trademarks of LegalMatch. Patents Pending.