Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Law Forums > Accident & Injury Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Emphysema/Cancer/Tobacco How hard is it to sue tobacco companies on a personal level?

I'm just curious if I have a case. I do not intend to be a part of any class action lawsuit, nor am I looking for one. I am not actively contacting lawyers either. If someone should pop up and say "Hey, I'd love to spend a zillion hours fighting this and not get paid unless you do" then of course I'd agree to it. I just hear about these multi million dollar lawsuits (such as the one where an airline exposed passengers to second hand smoke when they allowed smoking on their flights) and it got me thinking.

In my opinion, the tobacco companies did wrong people by covering their findings. They falsely advertised smoking as safe. I do take responsibility for myself as well, how could I not? My own actions make me responsible as well.

Here is the story in short. I am now in my 70s but when I was much younger, I was told by all that smoking was not harmful. Both of my children had extremely low birth weight and had to remain hospitalized until they put enough weight on to be discharged. Both myself and my husband currently have cancer, different kinds, and we are not getting any better. I have Emphysema and have to be on oxygen through the night as I sleep as well as be on a portable oxygen device during the day. I even cough in my sleep. I cannot sleep and am suffering a great deal I because I used a product I was told was safe. I also have to use inhalers numerous times a day for the long term. I, of course, no longer smoke and would have never started had I known the damage it could and did do to my children, my husband, and myself. My illness could have likely been prevented had the tobacco companies made the public aware of their findings as soon as they were known to them.

I'm not a highly educated person. I was in an out of foster care due to a very physically and verbally abusive mother and not knowing my father at all. I was passed around like a hot potato between extended relatives and shelters and doing farm work while other children my age went to school. I did trust what I was told and that is probably at least partially credited to my level of education. I believed the doctors and the scientists when I was told things like "smoking won't hurt you" and "it's okay to drink beer while pregnant". They were the thinkers of society unlike myself, a blue collar worker bee. I'm not trying to spin a sob story or throw a pity party, not in the slightest, I'm just explaining the way things are and giving my best guess as to why they are that way. Who knows, maybe I'd win the sympathy vote with a jury for that reason.

Well, it's now time to ask of you educated men and women what I came here for. What are your thoughts? Does a little old lady stand a chance against a multi billion dollar corporation? Would it even be worth anyone's time and effort?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!