Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Law Forums > Accident & Injury Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

settlement for car accident

I was a passenger in a car accident with someone and got injured pretty bad. I ended up getting a lawyer and he is in the process of getting everything ready for the settlement package. Today I found out that the person I was in the accident with recieved a letter from her insurance company saying they are canceling her insurance. My question: Is the fact that they are now canceling her insurance going to effect my settlement being paid?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-06-2008, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrb99 View Post
I was a passenger in a car accident with someone and got injured pretty bad. I ended up getting a lawyer and he is in the process of getting everything ready for the settlement package. Today I found out that the person I was in the accident with recieved a letter from her insurance company saying they are canceling her insurance. My question: Is the fact that they are now canceling her insurance going to effect my settlement being paid?
No, as long as she was insured at the time of the accident. Was she charged in the accident for being at fault?

[COLOR=black]To [COLOR=blue]ERR [/COLOR]is human.[/COLOR]
To [COLOR=darkorchid]FORGIVE [/COLOR]is divine.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

settlement

Yes. She wasn't actually the cause of the accident, but because she rearended someone she was automatically found at fault. We were coming up to a stoplight and the person that was 2 cars ahead of us stopped abruptly because she wasn't paying attention to the light (she said this herself) the guy in front of us barely missed hitting the woman and we hit the truck and trailer in front of us because we had no time to stop. Of course the woman left the scene of the accident right before the police arrived.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes. She wasn't actually the cause of the accident, but because she rearended someone she was automatically found at fault. We were coming up to a stoplight and the person that was 2 cars ahead of us stopped abruptly because she wasn't paying attention to the light (she said this herself) the guy in front of us barely missed hitting the woman and we hit the truck and trailer in front of us because we had no time to stop. Of course the woman left the scene of the accident right before the police arrived.
The important issue is who was charged? If someone else was, her insurance company would not be the one paying. The insurance company of the at-fault party pays---unless, of course, you are making a claim against your own policy for under or uninsured motorist.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]
Old 12-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

settlement

Thank You for replying. I was kinda worried about getting stuck with all the medical bills. Especially around christmas time. I thought that with them canceling her insurance that they would refuse to pay the settlement. The bills are substantial.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Thank You for replying. I was kinda worried about getting stuck with all the medical bills. Especially around christmas time. I thought that with them canceling her insurance that they would refuse to pay the settlement. The bills are substantial.

Insurance companies routinely cancel people's policies. If they were allowed to do so and remove their liability for claims against their client, they would cancel EVERYONE'S policy after an incident and then never have to pay. That isn't how it works.

They are liable.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

thanks

Thank you again. I read about your situation when I was trying to find an answer to my question. And, I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my sister in a car accident in march of this year. She was a passenger also and had no fault in it but lost her life. It has literally altered my entire life. I can't imagine being in your shoes. Losing my spouse in that way would be devastating. I can't imagine what your going through and again I'm so sorry for your loss.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Thank you again. I read about your situation when I was trying to find an answer to my question. And, I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my sister in a car accident in march of this year. She was a passenger also and had no fault in it but lost her life. It has literally altered my entire life. I can't imagine being in your shoes. Losing my spouse in that way would be devastating. I can't imagine what your going through and again I'm so sorry for your loss.
That you would take the time from your own concerns to offer me a kind word touches me deeply , and I appreciate it so very much.

Thank you and best wishes to you and your family this holiday season, which will, no doubt, be difficult considering your very recent loss as well.

The seasons best to you all......