Go Back   LegalMatch Free Legal Advice Forums > Law Forums > Accident & Injury Law
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Find a Lawyer Now By Category:
Family & Divorce Criminal Defense Job & Employment Personal Injury LegalMatch on Facebook
  Real Estate Lawyers Immigration Business Lawyers Other Lawyers LegalMatch on Twitter
LegalMatch is Fast, Free and Confidential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Qusestion on painted traffic islands.....

Hi I have have a question relating to the attached picture, all the traffic has stopped for the passing train, car B decides to go around the stationary cars to get into the right hand turning lane up ahead, car A goes through the gap left my motorist's and his is hit in from the right on the bumper in the turning lane..... car A should have given way to the right, but if car A was already in the turning lane shouldn't have car B given way?

Here's some info -
rule 138 of Road Rules - Victoria only prohibits a driver from driving on a painted island surrounded by double lines. There is no rule prohibiting drivers from driving over a painted island surrounded by a single line to enter a right turn lane, so long as they give way to vehicles in the turning lane, or entering the turning line from the marked lane or line of traffic immediately to the left of the turning lane in accordance with rule 85. Rule 140 prescribes that a driver must not overtake a vehicle unless the driver has a clear view of any approaching traffic and the driver can safely overtake the vehicle.

Last edited by moto485; 05-26-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-27-2008, 03:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto485 View Post
Hi I have have a question relating to the attached picture, all the traffic has stopped for the passing train, car B decides to go around the stationary cars to get into the right hand turning lane up ahead, car A goes through the gap left my motorist's and his is hit in from the right on the bumper in the turning lane..... car A should have given way to the right, but if car A was already in the turning lane shouldn't have car B given way?

Here's some info -
rule 138 of Road Rules - Victoria only prohibits a driver from driving on a painted island surrounded by double lines. There is no rule prohibiting drivers from driving over a painted island surrounded by a single line to enter a right turn lane, so long as they give way to vehicles in the turning lane, or entering the turning line from the marked lane or line of traffic immediately to the left of the turning lane in accordance with rule 85. Rule 140 prescribes that a driver must not overtake a vehicle unless the driver has a clear view of any approaching traffic and the driver can safely overtake the vehicle.

I do not know anything about "victoria" laws ( Victoria, BC?) and any Canadian laws are a blur from the time I lived there almost twenty two years ago.

However, in my state, car A needs to yield right a way since he is intersecting oncoming traffic. The fact taht the cars are stopped doesn't give him right of way---it gives him an opportunity to intersect traffic. If driver B really has the right to cross over "islands", then he had the right to be there and did not have to yield right of way.

I see accidents like this constantly. Two lanes of traffic coming to a stop light. A few feet back an entrance to a shopping center. A car is in the middle median waiting to turn in front of oncoming traffic. The opposing lane nearest the car waiting to turn stops and waves them to pull in front of them and the car pulls out, waves THANKS and promptly gets hit by the OTHER car in the outter lane, closer to the entrance of the shopping center. Just because the one lane stopped and the driver indicated for the car to go doesn't give legal right of way. The car moving in the direction with the flow of traffic has the right of way. ANY vehicle ( except emergency vehicles, obviously ) must yield ( in my state, anyway).

[COLOR=black]To [COLOR=blue]ERR [/COLOR]is human.[/COLOR]
To [COLOR=darkorchid]FORGIVE [/COLOR]is divine.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]NEITHER[/COLOR] is my policy.[/FONT] [/FONT]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!